Edward Snowden Granted Citizenship in Russia by Vladimir Putin
As an affiliate, we may earn from qualifying purchases. We get commissions for purchases made through links on this website.
Receive $10 in Bitcoin when you buy or sell $100 or more on Coinbase! https://mathisenmarketing.com/coinbase
President Vladimir granted former NSA contractor and famous whistleblower Edward Snowden Russian citizenship, state-run news agency TASS reported on Monday.
His name was on the list of 71 other foreigners who also became citizens.
- Snowden shall apply naturalized alongside his wife in 2020 after receiving permanent residency because he wanted to not be separated from his sons.
“After two years of waiting and almost ten years in exile, a little stability makes all the difference to my family,” he tweeted on Monday. “I pray for privacy for them — and for all of us.”
- Snowden has lived in exile in Moscow for years after leaking classified files revealing the National Security Agency’s (NSA) vast surveillance operations affecting millions of Americans in 2013. He has been charged with espionage and faces more than 30 years in prison.
- According to Snowden’s lawyer, Anatoli Kucherena, the whistleblower is still not eligible for military service in the war against Ukraine because he has not served in the Russian army.
- Snowden has previously expressed his support for Bitcoin, but also considered that cryptocurrency has critical privacy issues. He was personally involved in the creation of the privacy coin Zcashand vocally opposes central bank digital currency (CBDC).
- The Russian government has shown interest in Bitcoin international trade – but has banned the domestic use of cryptocurrencies as a medium of exchange.
- Former US President Donald Trump did not contain Edward Snowden on the list of people pardoned at the end of his presidency. Trump called for the contractor’s execution years ago, but also later claimed he would consider pardoning Snowden.
Binance Free $100 (Exclusive): Use this link to sign up and get $100 free and 10% off Binance Futures fees in your first month (terms).
PrimeXBT Special Offer: Use this link to sign up and enter code POTATO50 to get up to $7,000 on your deposits.